The Common Core State Standards (CCSS):
- Simply lay out what foundational skills our students should have mastered at each grade in order to be on track to graduate ready for college and career.
- Provide you, the parent, with a clearer picture of how prepared your child is for his or her next steps.
- Provide you and your child’s teacher an opportunity to make adjustments as needed to ensure there are no surprises down the road.
- Do not tell teachers how to teach, nor are they a curriculum.
- Changes in learning for English/Language Arts and Mathematics.
- Benchmarked against academic standards from the world’s top performing countries.
- Aligned to college and workplace expectations.
- Focused on 21st century skills.
This was a presentation given by the superintendent to the PTSA about Common Core to help parents get better acquainted with it: Common Core PPT